If you are renting a home and the tenancy commenced after the 1st October 2008 you should have received an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) from your landlord, this is a legal requirement and provides you with guidance on the potential cost of heating, hot water and lighting. If you have not seen the EPC and the report then you should ask your landlord for a copy, they have a legal duty to provide it.

The rating is graded from G, which is the worst, to A which is the best. The EPC also provides information on the carbon dioxide emissions and how to reduce both the emissions and the fuel bill.

For example, a 3 bedroom semi-detached house built in the 1950’s may be F rated with carbon dioxide emissions of 7.43 tonnes per year and annual fuel costs of £1217.00. If this property was improved with cavity wall and loft insulation, an “A” rated gas condensing boiler and heating controls, Double glazing with Low Emissivity glass and Low energy lighting the rating would improve to C with the carbon dioxide emissions reduced to 2.38 tonnes per year and annual fuel costs reduced to £468 – a saving of £749 + every year.

Each property is different and will require its own EPC, this will provide the options of improvement which are most suitable for the particular home. It should therefore be possible for you to discuss these improvements with your landlord and negotiate the level of rent that should be paid.

General information on improvement options can be seen from the links below:

Heating: Over 80% of energy used in the home is for the provision of heating and hot water. Find out why you should be replacing your old “G” rated boiler with an “A” rated one and much more by clicking here.

Insulation: All homes need to be fully insulated, to find out why, how and where to go click here.

Glazing:  Efficient glazing is a major energy saver in both carbon impact and cost of heating in homes, find out about the latest “A” rated windows and how to find a registered installer.  Click here.

Lighting: Find out about the latest developments in low energy lighting and what is currently available.  Click here.

Energy Performance Certificates: Provides a report which details the possible improvements for each individual home. To find out how to get one and much more click here.

Top of page