There are two types of Landlord: Registered Social Landlords (RSLs) which include Local Authorities and Housing Associations and Private Landlords.

Registered Social Landlords

The homes owned by RSLs are generally better in terms of energy efficiency due to co-ordinated programmes of improvements over many years and the requirement to meet the Decent Homes Standard. However these homes can be further improved and are now required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) whenever a new tenant moves in. The EPC will provide guidance on the possible improvements and further information can be found by following the links below.

Private Landlords

The homes owned by Private Landlords are generally the worst in terms of energy efficiency and is still the tenure with the highest number of homes failing the Decent Homes Standard.

Some landlords are reluctant to make improvements as it is the tenant who gets the benefit in lower fuel bills. An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is now required whenever a new tenant moves in and will provide guidance on the possible improvements and it has been suggested that these improvements may have to be carried out in the near future.

  • Your tenants will have warmer, more comfortable homes that are cheaper to heat. For you, empty periods, complaints and repairs should decrease as a result.
  • There will be reduced risk of damp, condensation and mould growth in your properties.
  • You’ll improve your Energy Performance Certificate rating.
  • You’ll be helping prevent climate change. Energy use in our homes leads to much of the carbon emissions that are causing global warming. Become a green landlord by installing good insulation, an efficient heating system, double glazing and low energy lighting and lowering your properties’ overall energy use.

The Landlords Energy Savings Allowance (LESA) provides for a £1500 claim back on energy efficiency improvements. Click here for details.

Click here to see a Landlord's Guide to Energy Performance Certificates.

Heating: Over 80% of energy used in the home is for the provision of heating and hot water. Find out why you should be replacing your old “G” rated boiler with an “A” rated one and much more by clicking here.

Insulation: All homes need to be fully insulated, to find out why, how and where to go click here.

Glazing:  Efficient glazing is a major energy saver in both carbon impact and cost of heating in homes, find out about the latest “A” rated windows and how to find a registered installer.  Click here.

Lighting: Find out about the latest developments in low energy lighting and what is currently available.  Click here.

Energy Performance Certificates: Provides a report which details the possible improvements for each individual home. To find out how to get one and much more click here.

Top of page